Who is in charge of wind energy development in Quebec?
There is no question that Hydro-Quebec is in control of wind energy development in Quebec.
Although the development of wind energy projects is carried out by the private sector, Hydro-Quebec is the client and as such, has complete control of wind energy development in the province. Quebec is not an exception in this regard, since wind development is managed the same way all over the world.
- sets the price of the electricity it purchases from independent producers;
- is the sole purchaser and distributor of all electric power generated in Quebec (hydro, wind, thermal, biogas, biomass or nuclear);
- drafts the Requests for proposals through which wind development takes place;
- dictates delivery parameters;
- selects among bidders which companies will develop projects;
- has the power to decide whether it will accept and integrate more than 10% of wind energy into the provincial grid.